In 1857, a group from the Baldwin Methodist Church (what later became First Church Baldwin UMC) saw the need for a church to serve their local community and established a congregation in Baldwin Harbor. In 1874, the church was officially incorporated. They built their first building at our present location on land donated by William Soper. Since an organ was beyond the means of the fledgling group, they sang hymns without accompaniment.
In 1923, just after it had been repainted and newly carpeted, the church was destroyed by fire. While the new building was being constructed, the congregation met in Steele School, diagonally across the street. To accommodate the foundation of the church, the manse was moved to its present location a few hundred feet to the north, facing west on Park Avenue. Our current church building was completed in October of 1923 and, with its distinctive bell tower, has remained a well known landmark in the community.
In 1961, Calvary Protestant Church joined the Evangelical Free Church of America (EFCA) and has continued to serve the community and preach Christ from its easily recognizable site at the corner of Park Avenue and Church Street.